Saturday, July 11, 2009

7/11/09 Update on my Dad

Today, my dad seems SO much better! He's much more coherent and able to recall a lot of details about his journey here. He actually remembers some of the dreams he was having on his day of hallucinations. His blood pressure is bordering on low - I doubt it's been like this in all of his life! His oxygen level is staying steady. He's been able to get up a few times today and the tech helped him shower and brush his teeth which really helped him feel more alive. One of the ways that I know he's feeling well is that his humor has totally returned. My dad is a feisty man and he's been on a roll lately. The other night, the nurse had to give him a shot of medication in his stomach and he threw his head back and started yelling "ow ow ow ow ow!!" Then he started laughing. She was concerned at first, then called him a turd several times and he LOVED it. He's still pretty unsteady on his feet and he gets very tired after a little bit of physical exertion. But what can you expect from someone who has been laying in a hospital bed for 8 days and had his chest split open? We are really pleased with the positive turns in his health in the past two days. Thank you so much for your prayers and well wishes!

The Dr is considering discharging him soon and there are so many details to work out. My dad was having trouble paying for his blood pressure meds (which is what led to this situation) so we've got to find some prescription assistance. We'll have to wait and see how he is physically upon discharge before we decide where he'll go. If it were up to him, he would be leaving tomorrow and returning home to be back on his land and with his dogs. I'm not ready for that! This week could prove to be a little bit crazy. I'm supposed to work 1/2 day on Monday and a full day on Tuesday and Wednesday. And I'm assuming he'll be discharged one of those days. Chrissy has been here all but one day since his surgery but she's got to return to KC tomorrow so she can work on Monday. So, everything is sort of up in the air. It sure is hard not knowing what tomorrow holds for us!

I don't remember if I posted this verse on my blog yet so I'm going to do it now (I'm too lazy to look back and see if I've already posted it :)

Isaiah 26:3 "You give perfect peace to him whose mind is steadfast because he puts his trust in you" God has granted me a steadfast trust through this entire ordeal and the peace I've felt is certainly not situational! I could have been freaking out! But I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that my Dad is meant to still be here. I am able to trust my God now, and I was able to trust Him even when I thought my Dad might be heading "home". And that is a glorious way to feel!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

We are glad to know he is doing better. We will continue to keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Becky Abbate said...

I'm so glad to hear that he's doing better. I'm sure he's anxious to get home.

Brklacich Family said...

I am so glad he is doing better. We have been praying for you.

Becki Francy said...

I will be praying. The tiredness is totally normal. Dad had that for weeks. Dad's blood pressure was also low for a while too! Let me know if you need help with the girls during the day. I only work tues thurs, and could help you with them on MWF.