My dad's surgery was 5 days ago and he seems to be turning in the right direction!! Nights are rough because he wakes up confused and then he gets really anxious. So if you're awake in the night, take a sec to pray for his peace of mind.
Two nights ago, the nurses decided to give him a BIG dose of morphine and he slept for 8 hours or more. He hadn't slept more than 15 mins at a time prior to the morphine. After that long rest, he was finally able to come off of 100% oxygen and he's now back to using just a nasal canula to increase the oxygen in his blood. He has gotten to sit in a chair twice and he's eating real food!! Also, today they changed him from IV blood pressure medication to normal pills and his BP has actually been really low today. He got one tube removed from his neck and his Dr is considering removing the 3 tubes in his abdomen that are draining fluid from the surgery. If he can continue the good oxygen level, he'll soon move to the rehab unit.
Continued concerns:
He is still retaining a lot of fluid and his lungs are still very junky. He is able to cough some now which is a good sign. But he's still got a long way to go and his history of smoking isn't helping matters.
Financial concerns - I am trying to get permission to work out some financial issues for him prior to his release so we can relieve that stress from his life. But his mind is not clear enough yet for the hospital to allow him to sign power of attorney to me, so I'm limited in what I can do for him. So pray for clarity of mind for him and also for favor in some of these issues.
Thank you for checking in with us!! I still need to put together a birthday post for Hannah but that will happen when it happens. We are positive and encouraged that he's come through the worst of this. I know rehab will be difficult but I do think he's turned a corner and he ought to make it out of the hospital.
Sorry I haven't been great at returning phone calls yesterday and today. Juggling spending time with dad, spending time with Chris and the girls, taking care of Dad's financial affairs and work has been difficult. I returned to work today. Since Chris is self employed and I am considered a contract employee, neither of us have benefits so we can't really afford to take off for an extended period of time. But I have been fortunate to shorten my hours, and I only work 2 days per week anyway so I think it will all work out.
Love
Jen
6 years ago

4 comments:
thank you so much for the post...let your dad know that we are all praying for him and thinking about him constantly...we know how tough he is, so we're confident that he will be on the road to recovery and rehab soon...we love you guys!
ralph, jennifer, & the kids
Thanks for the update. Glad he's improving! Will continue to pray for him and for you.
Love ya--
Jen, thanks for the update...I have been thinking of you all today...and when I get up to feed Luke in the middle of the night, I will pray for rest and peace for your dad. Love you....
you have a lot on your plate jen, but i know that God will continue to give you the strength and guidance to do everything you need to do!
Post a Comment