Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hectic Lives...

Here's the latest on all fronts of our lives:

** The psych dept at St Francis finally is aware of my dad's recent mental state. They ordered labs and discovered that he has infection in one of his incisions and in an old IV site so he is being treated with antibiotics. They have also started him back on a medication that he has taken for years but hadn't had since he was checked into the hospital. They are treating the hallucinations as well. If they can get the infections cleared up and his mind back to normal, he'll be discharged. We're hoping this all happens sooner than later.

COOL STORY ABOUT MY PRAYER REQUEST THAT I COULD BE A STRONG ADVOCATE FOR MY DAD: Wednesday I went to visit my dad on a break from work, then returned to a somewhat stressful meeting. I had a few moments to myself before my next client showed up, so I closed my door and just sat down and cried. I felt completely overwhelmed because I had been with my dad Tuesday night when a psychiatrist came to check in on him and he had sounded completely lucid - he told her that was aware that he had been hallucinating and confused but that he's got it all straight now. Then as soon as she left the room, he started telling me some of the things going on in his head. His thoughts must have been terrifying and he believed them to be true events. I couldn't reach the psychiatrist to fill her in and I felt like I was failing at my "job" as an advocate. So...back to Wednesday in my office crying and crying...my friend Jennifer left me a voice mail and she wanted to share a verse with me. Here it is:

Job 16:19-21 Even now my witness is in heaven; my advocate is on high. My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God; on behalf of a man he pleads with God as a man pleads for his friend

Jennifer and I hadn't talked in days and she didn't know how I was struggling with feeling like I was the only one at that hospital who cared that my dad's mind was playing horrible tricks on him. The verse was so timely and was a complete reassurance to me that the holy spirit is the witness of all that I'm seeing, He is my advocate and He is pleading with God on my behalf as I sit here and plead on my dad's behalf with eyes that are pouring out tears to the One I trust. Oh how I love when God speaks to us in such a tangible and timely way!!!

** We are scheduled to close on our home AND the one we're purchasing on July 27th - one week from Monday!! The glitch we ran into the other night has been resolved and we're hopeful that there won't be anymore. I told some friends the other day that moving is on the bottom of my priorities right now - if we're supposed to move then God is just going to carry us right on into that house. Otherwise, we'll stay here. I could take it or leave it at this point :)

** Madeline has had a rash for 2 days and this morning it was worse. She wasn't feeling bad but we decided to take her to the Dr this morning and found out she has strep throat. How do you have strep throat and not complain of any symptoms?? She can be such an easy going child. We've got antibiotics for her so she will be on the mend soon.

** Hannah is hillarious. She is speaking in full sentences all of a sudden. The first truly long sentence I heard her say was "I need a kleenex for my booger". Isn't that endearing? :)

I've got to post some pictures soon - my blog is looking much too word-y and not nearly enough picture-y these days. Sorry if you're not much of a reader, I'll try to make it all more colorful soon.

Continuing to pray for my dad's mind and for the infections to clear...

0 comments: