Monday, July 20, 2009

Update on my dad 7/20/09

We thought my dad was coming home to us today. But my dad's infections have worsened and he was running a fever this morning so the Dr decided to run some more cultures, change his IV antibiotics and keep him for a while longer. We were both really disappointed but I'm also relieved that they aren't sending him home before they have a handle on the infection. I was with him today while the nurse cleaned and changed the dressing on the infection in his incision and it looks horrible. It's an open wound nearly the size of a golf ball in diameter and it is deep. I'm praying that the cultures reveal which bacteria they are fighting and that they can find the correct antibiotics for the job.

My dad's mind is much clearer. He is no longer having hallucinations which is a HUGE relief. He is still forgetful though. Yesterday he told Chris and I that no one answers his questions and no one has told him why he's in the hospital. I explained his condition in depth and he actually had to look down at his chest to see if the incision was there. This was after 16 days of hearing a few times a day about what happened to him. He also seems to forget often that when he does discharge he'll be staying with us for a while. He plans on going home to be with his dogs and he looks pretty disappointed when I tell him about his restrictions. But with his forgetfulness, I don't feel comfortable sending him home to manage his own medication. So I'm hopeful that after a few weeks of staying with us, he'll be better able to remember his meds and handle his own nutrition.

I have THE most amazing friends. So many people have joined us in prayer and called, texted and emailed to check on us and encourage us. Two of my dear friends here in Tulsa came over on Saturday night and helped me pack up nearly every item in our house. They were a bit ruthless and I'm grateful for that (HA)! We're living on paper products in the kitchen and we've been so blessed that they took it upon themselves to organize meals for us this week so we don't have to worry with cooking dinner. Many of our friends also joined together the first week that my dad was in the hospital and they gave Chrissy and I each a $50 visa giftcard for anything we might need. I know Chrissy appreciated the money to assist with gas for driving back and forth from KC. And I was able to use the money to buy many quick meals while staying with my dad through meal times. I also was able to buy him his first requested meal from outside the hospital - Steak and Shake! Last night, two of our close friends had arranged for a sitter for their children and they chose to share their night out with us! The guys went to see Transformers 2 and us girls went to see the Proposal (which I loved!) The laughter and carefree-ness was much needed and SO very appreciated!

My family has been an amazing support as well. I'm able to talk to Irene (my mother in law) several times per week to gain perspective, share funny stories or share my sadness. She is willing to be here at a moment's notice and she took our girls to her house this weekend so we could do some packing, work and prepare to move my Dad to our house. My mom's brothers and sisters and her best friend of many many years have been amazing as well. Even though they are in St Louis, I have talked with all of them several times and been so encouraged by them. They truly care about my dad and about our well being and just knowing that they care has been a great strength for me.

So thank you to all of you!!! We'll get through this and I pray that God will be glorified in it all.

2 comments:

Fether said...

Jen...so wish I could be there to give you a hug sister!
We will continue to pray for your Dad and for you and Chris during this transition time....love you!

Melanie said...

oh jen, these are tough times. it will get better and you will look back in amazement of our Lord!!!

love, melanie